Scout Hunt is a 14 year old photographer who is living proof that dedication and passion lead to success. Scout first made a social connection with us via Instagram and we quickly fell in love with her creative eye behind the camera lens.
The verse 1 Timothy 4:12 came to mind when we first discovered how young Scout was:
"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity."
In efforts to inspire YOU to continue doing what you love, we've conducted a brief interview with photos from Scout's portfolio.
1. What sparked your interest in photography? How old were you when you started, and did it come naturally for you? Feel free to describe any struggles or frustrations you had along the journey.
"I was in California for several weeks during the summer after seventh grade and my uncle brought his Canon camera and showed me how to use it. He let me take random photos of grass and things with his lenses and I really enjoyed it. He thought I was doing fairly well so encouraged me to continue it.
When we got back to Florida I began searching on eBay and Craigslist for a Canon DSLR that I could afford. I ended up finding his exact camera at a great price and buying it. I learned nearly everything from Pinterest articles, like how to shoot in manual mode, lighting tips, and editing tutorials. When I look back at some of my first portraits I realize how, honestly, bad they were. But at the time I was very proud of them so I did not really encounter too much frustration.
The hardest part about it was learning how to shoot in complete manual and how to edit well. But, through practice it slowly came together to produce better and better photos."
2. What kind of photography do you enjoy the most? "I mainly enjoy portraits because people can give feedback and I love the accomplishment of someone absolutely loving a photo, but I wish I was really good at landscapes because I think those are so beautiful."
3. What word of advice would you give other teenage girls towards pursuing their interests? "It's very important to pursue your interests because of where they could take you and how enjoyable it is to do something you're passionate about."
4. What do you want to be when you "grow up"? "I actually want to be a director, but always continue photography."
5. A lot of people use their hobbies to express themselves, to cope with emotions, or simply because they love the rewarding feeling of accomplishment. How do you feel when you capture a photo you really like? And what's your muse or inspiration behind photography? "Whenever I capture a photo I really like, I try to pass my excitement to the person I'm photographing because when they love the photo just as much as I do I know I accomplished my goal. My main inspiration generally comes from when I see photos other photographers have taken, then I want to capture a photo just as pretty."
6. What's your perspective on modesty? How would you define it? "I would define modesty as respecting yourself and your worth in the way that you dress and carry yourself."
7. We've recently been doing a "Good Girls Deserve Props" campaign amongst the youth, where we highlight young ladies who are doing good. In what ways would you say you and your friends are doing good? Any friends you want to give a shout out to? "My friend Hannah Williams has been volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters which is an organization that pairs youth with 'Big Brothers" and "Big Sisters" who they can develop a one-on-one relationship with. The big siblings also tutor them, help them with homework, play games with them, or just help them out where they need it. Quite a few other friends volunteer at Parker Street Ministries where they also work with young children. Also many of my friends help out with Tennis for Tumors which raises money for brain tumor research."
As you can see, Scout not only has an eye for photography, but a mind for modesty! She took the initiative to pursue her passion for photography and through hard work and dedication, she has excelled drastically. She definitely makes our list of Good Girls who Deserve Props by promoting modesty through her photographs and by spreading love through volunteering with her friends at various organizations.
On that note, we encourage YOU to pursue your passions and spread love too!