As a professional makeup artist, I am continually helping clients prepare for special occasions. Today, I am going to share some of these secrets with YOU! Here are my top ten tips to looking beautiful the day of your big event! 1. Start prepping your skin a couple of weeks in advance. Get into a good skin care routine. This is crucial for your make up to look its best. Cleanse, tone, and moisturize! Morning and evening. Exfoliate twice a week. If you do not have a good skin care line just yet, visit your local department store and chat with the beauty advisors in the cosmetics department. They can help prescribe the right skincare for you. Estee Lauder has an excellent skincare line that offers a variety of products that meet the needs of different skin types. Investing in your skin is key!
2. Drink lots of water, it is excellent for hydrating your skin. Not only that, but it can help to clear up your skin and give you a healthy glow.
3. Use a primer under your foundation. This will help your makeup to go on evenly and last longer. Moisturize, prime, and then apply your foundation. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer is a great choice. A less expensive option is Sephora's Ultra-smoothing Primer.
4. Use a photogenic foundation. You will be taking a ton of pictures so you want a foundation that is not only going to last through out the event, but one that will photograph well. Mac Pro Longwear and Makeup Forever HD foundations are excellent options. A cheaper alternative would be Revlon's Photoready Foundation which can be found at your local drugstore.
5. Set your foundation with powder. You do not want your face to appear shiny in pictures. Powder sets your foundation and helps it to last longer. I recommend Mac Blot Powder, it is light weight and excellent for touch ups. A cheaper alternative would be Revlon's Photogenic Powder.
6. Wear your makeup just a little heavier than you would normally. You want it to stand out on camera.
7. Play up your best feature. If it is your eyes, do a dramatic eye and keep your lips in a neutral tone. If it is your lips, choose a lipstick shade that pops and keep the eye makeup simple.
8. Get inspired! Gather pictures of makeup looks and hairstyles that you like and start practicing! Practice makes perfect! Another option is to hire a professional. You can make an appointment at your local salon with a makeup artist and hairstylist. Call in advance to make your appointment and make sure to bring a picture of the look you would like to achieve.
9. If your skin needs a little boost of color, try a self-tanner. Make sure you exfoliate first and wear gloves when applying. St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse is a personal favorite of mine, it gives you instant color and has a natural sun kissed look. A cheaper alternative would be L'oreal's Sublime Bronze Tanning Towelettes.
10. Lastly, don't forget to wear a smile! It is your greatest accessory! If you are feeling a little self conscious about your smile, try some Crest 3D White Whitestrips. They are an inexpensive way to achieve those pearly whites!
Remember to have FUN on your big day! ENJOY the process of getting ready. Looking good starts with feeling good. YOU are going to look BEAUTIFUL! If you still have not found a prom dress, check out our blog post devoted to finding the perfect dress here! You can also visit our Pinterest Prom 2013 board here for more style inspiration.
Article by: Rebekah Miura
Photography by: Reagan Miura