1. Know what you're looking for.
- Have a general idea of the styles/trends that you want by making a list or bringing pictures of outfits with you.
- By doing this, you'll only purchase the things that you really want or really need.
- Pictured above is a Winter Trend Inspiration board we put together featuring some of our favorite looks, such as an army green utility vest, a maroon beanie, cut-out shoes, plaid shirts, and more! Carry something like this with you as you shop, or keep Pinterest and TopButtons handy.
2. Compare prices & shop the sales rack.
- Before going to the mall, look up your favorite mall stores online and compare prices of similar trends so that you have a general idea of which stores offer what you're looking for. Keep in mind that online stores often vary in merchandise than their actual store, but it will give you a starting point.
- Go STRAIGHT to the sales rack when you get to a store. Put your "horse blinders" on and don't even look at all the cute stuff you can't afford, or else nothing in the sales rack will satisfy you.
3. Don't buy on impulse.
- Ask yourself: do I REALLY want this, and have I wanted this for a while?
- Chances are, if you put the item down and come back to the store a few weeks later, it will still be there, and probably at a more affordable price.
4. Use coupons.
- Never underestimate the power of a good coupon, rewards program, or a promo code!
- Stores like American Eagle, Styles for Less, and Khols all have rewards programs that benefit you the more frequently you shop at their stores.
- Type in the name of a store at RetailMeNot and they will usually have some promo codes you can use.
5. Give yourself a budget.
- Tell yourself you're only going to spend X amount of dollars and STICK TO IT!
- Shopping on a budget can be a fun challenge if you approach it with the right attitude.
- You'll feel really good about yourself for NOT spending too much money.
- Make it a REALISTIC budget that works well with other bills or purchases you may have to make aside from fashion.
Our Fashion Cents Contributor and friends love a good sale.